Thursday 17 July 2014

Toilet training

Charcoal on the bin and Rufus on the fence, outside the outside privvy
17.07.2014
Day 96

One of the main drawbacks of working in a magazine office, rather than freelancing from your own home, is that your training takes a hit. The aerobic stuff can still be achieved, wth early  morning runs like the five miler I managed this morning, up to Blackheath and home via Lewisham (very slow, all the miles over 9m/m and I struggled with form and pelvic floor issues. The heat does not help with the issue, so a soggy gusset once more). Cycling to and from Soho keeps the blood pumping too. However, once I'm sitting at my subeditor post, I'm there for a stretch, so cannot keep getting up to stretch, as I do at home. Here in my study at home I sit on a Swiss ball, I can go to the yoga mat and plank it for a bit, I can pick up some free weights or practise some core training exercises. Hell, if the fancy takes me and it's 27degrees C, as it was today, I can get me to the lido.
At work, I repair to the toilet to do some stretches, my favourite at the moment is a slide up and dwn the wall into a squat, and doing various upper back moves. At Cedar, where there is a massive disabled loo on my floor (and there used ot be a yoga mat) I did whole routines when the workflow stuttered. My toilet gym at the moment though, at Hearst, is very small, and I keep whacking my elbow on the door handle. Also, I don't really want other women looking at me funny when I emerge from the cubicle red faced and slightly out of breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment