Monday 21 July 2014

All the gear, no idea?

Look what arrived for me today
21.07.2014
Day 100

In 2011 I was team captain for Women's Running at the adidas 24 hour Thunder Run. It involves running as many laps of a 10K course as possible over a 24 hour period. This year, this weekend, in fact, I'm doing it again. I'll be token woman on the Men's Running Magazine team.
Typically, not one member of the Men's team has been in touch, but I've been busy rounding up the girls and drumming up some team spirit.
One of the perks of doing this kind of gig for the mag is the massive amount of kit you're sent. Many of the items that arrived today are duplicate of the apparel received in May, when  I ran the Conti Lightning Run for Women's Running. I now have so much stuff I could wear a different outfit for every run. Fact is, though, I don't like wearing all this colourful, technical kit, all tight and attention seeking. I prefer to don the mantle of middle aged woman's invisibility...an old T shirt and shorts will do, baggy enough to mask that other mark of the middle aged woman – the perimenopausal fat around the middle – technical running gear does not flatter it.

No comments:

Post a Comment