Saturday 5 July 2014

How to be speedy

05.07.2014
Day 83 - I've started numbering them as of today, because today I feel the most depressed and unmotivated I've ever felt. It is all to do with lack of sleep, I am sure, as well as the sludge that typically furs up your circuitry when you've been married and somewhat domesticated for 25 years. How to get fired up again?

Today I marshalled Hillyfields Parkrun again, as tomorrow I am running the 15 mile Bewl Water trail race. Last time I did that race it was hot, dusty and exhaustng, but today our spell of hot weather has come to an end, and we have rain/showers with some humidity.

I was the official timer, pressing the stop when every one of the 130 runners came through the finishing funnel. This man finished in about 18min 25secs, but the course record is an eye-watering 15mins 37secs, set by a chap new to the area, Sean.

When you're volunteering at Parkrun it gives you the chance to analyse the style of the speedies as they lope past. One thing they all have in common is their high feet. I know it's best to try to get the heel up towards the arse, and to keep the cadence quick. Of course, as you get tired and blown, your style goes out of the window.

I vow this Saturday to sleep at my tiredest point this evening, to stay away from screens an hour before I attempt sleep and to lose this headache. Once my mood and wellbeing picks up, I can address my form, speed up and calm down.  

No comments:

Post a Comment