Friday 25 July 2014

A good team player

Thunder Run 2011: my report on same
25.07.2014
Day 104

As it's the 2014 adidas Thunder Run 24 Hours challenge tomorrow, my run today was of a tapering, leg-freshening variety. Out at abut 8am, a quick four miler at slow non-specific pace about (8.50-9m/m), enjoying the shortlived sunshine, which by lunch-time had been replaced by intermittent thunderstorms for the rest of the day.
The Thunder Run, which takes place is rural Staffordshire (Catton Park) necessitates camping and running 10k relays with, in my case, a bunch of extremely fast men. I hope this means they'll let me do five laps or so, even though they'll be waiting an extra ten minutes before I run into the changeover area to exchange wristbands and send a sub-40minute 10K man on his way. My best time for this cross country course, I think, in 2011, was 50mins or so. I did four laps last time, not because I could not do five, but because we had plenty of women wanting to do their bit and a few of them were rather slower than me. A couple unfortunately twisted knees and ankles on the night-time runs, in pitch black woodland where you just can't see the tree roots.
I do hope that this Thunder Run is not accompanied by actual thunder, which rumbles away as I type this. Or, of course the heavy showers curretly pounding away on our leaky roof. I am sure my little tent, from Argos, will prove distinctly un waterproof.
I will be making raw brownies to share. I do hope the men whose team I have been dropped into, are friendly.  I do hope my Women's Running blog about this challenge goes up on the website.
A little nervous about this. I've just applied for a subediting job, interestingly enough, that requires the successful applicant to be a 'team player'. Perhaps I should have mentioned the Thunder Run team spirit.
I will write two days' worth of posts on Sunday, on my return, with lots of pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment