Monday 28 July 2014

#allin24#2

The route. Trust me, it's 'technical'
27.07.2014
Day 106

....Lap 4 of TR24 took place at 4.30am. Euan, our team captain, kindly lent me his headtorch, so I could see a little more easily. At this time in the morning, at this time of year, the iron grey night sky goes beautiful, pinkly streaky in the east. It's always uplifting to greet the dawn while running, it makes you want to go all wholesome and early-to-bed, early-to-rise. Certainly I ran this dawn lap faster than the night one. My teammates Euan, Dave, Stuart (all 40min 10k merchants) said they loved night running. Martin did his faster at night. Paul and I preferred natural light.
My last lap was achieved in 56mins, when my legs were like jelly, my stomach was killing me (I've been plagued by heat-related cramps and diarrhoea – great in portaloos, in the dark). It started at 10.30am. Once lap five was over, I could finally take pride in the achievement. Hey! I ran 50k this weekend, on no sleep and poor food choices, with an upset stomach. No wonder I feel like shit.
By the time I'd endured the interminable train ride home, plus the walk from Lewisham station with bags, I was dead on my feet. I took a bath, made an omelette and baked bean dinner for daughter and me, then fell asleep over my dinner plate.
Job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment