Thursday 10 July 2014

Hill defeats

Peppa can leap like a gazelle through the crops
10.07.2014
Day 89

Cycling mostly, from here to East Croydon, then atrain, then Horsham to West Grinstead, then the same back to here. I suppose about  22 miles all told. There were two steep hills in Sussex. Last year, when I was staying there for a couple of weeks and cycling that route every morning and evening I pedalled up the with ease. Today, the gradient defeated me. I'm disinclined to honk up hills because I don't trust this bike's gear, but the fact is I just don't have the power in my backside. Watching Peppa the pointer leap with consummate ease about three feet in the air with every bound she takes through the wheatfields in pursuit of rabbits, I feel envious of those muscled haunches. I feel too old and tired to run like a happy dog, let alone get my bike up and over those hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment