Tuesday 15 July 2014

Feeding the flab

The cake tin, where the runner tend to gravitate, feeling she's 'earned it'

15.07.2014
Day 94

After the cycle to and from Soho, with a day at desk in between, a hot, fast session on the running track with the club. I missed the warm up, work being a little time consuming, but made the session 5x600m and 300m, with 200m an 100m recoveries between each set. I ran pretty well. I was hungry, having eaten mostly Rich Tea biscuits in the afternoon, and salad and a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. I am mad for toast and cereal, could eat it for every meal, but know that the slim, taut, muscled backs of the fast women in my group are achieved by protein and judicious gym work. One woman, Laura, whose beautifully muscled, slim back and six pack I admire whenever I run behind/with her (often) denies going to the gym, though. She said she is used to lifting a lot of oxygen tanks, as a diver. Is it possible to fend off back flab? I have depressing memories of watching my mother dress in the morning when I was a little girl. She wore something she called a 'roll on' (a sort of corset) over the top of which her upper back fat drooped like Muttley's ears. I know she too hated the rotund torso our family seem to have been blessed with. Is the only way I can resist the roly poly roll-on route cutting out my favourite foods and replacing the calories with protein ones? I wonder if I have the willpower to do it. Judging by my speed eating performance following this evenng's speed session, I fear not.

No comments:

Post a Comment