Sunday 6 July 2014

Throw away the rule book

Finishers are always happiest when there's cake and beer
06.07.2014
Day 85

The Bewl 15

Bewl Water is an extraordinarily gorgeous beauty spot in rural Kent, not far from Lamberhurst. A three-pronged set of lakes, used for sailing, fishing and kayaking is surrounded by hilly wooded trails and country lanes. The views are delightful, especially along the high ridges overlooking the water. The race I competed in today was a 15 miler, around this Kentsh treasure, over muddy undulating trails. I'd done it once before, back in 2011. I looked up my result online, and I'm pretty sure it said 2:28, which seems awfully slow. Today, however, I completed it in 2.06. I was delighted.
The hilarious thing was, I'd barely prepared. I'd been out two nights in a row, drinking on both nights, and I was sleep deprived. Interestingly, as before the Berlin Marathon, I'd eaten freely and sweetly the day before. Plenty of bread, potatoes, cereal, cheese and cake, with wine, beer and Champagne. I'd had no alcohol in Berlin of course, but the calorie intake was similar. Then, this morning, I breakfasted on porridge and tea, then before the race drank beet/cherry juice, Organo coffee and popped some ibruprofen. All the way round the course I snacked on jelly babies and made full use of the water stations. The result was long, strong running. The only slow mile was 14-15, the last hill I could scarcely jog up. No matter, I was 4th V50 and I was pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment