Wednesday 30 July 2014

50, the new...what, exactly?

51, and proud of it
30.07.2014
Day109

Shortly after my friend Tamsin turned 50, she went to the local leisure centre to check out an aqua aerobics class. She saw an Over 50s one scheduled, so resolved to join in. It was a little bit gentle, to say the least, over 50s here meaning pensioners. Tamsin said she was the only person in the pool without grey hair and a matronly bosom/tummy combo. She decided she fitted in better at classes where the average age was about 30, because she looked more like the average 30 year old than the average over 50, even though she was most definitely into her sixth decade.
I remembered her experience today, in the pool. I am not a strong swimmer, so meekly stay in the slow lane. Sadly my penchant for early morning workout chimes directly with the average pensioner's early rising habits. Old people tend to swim very slowly and un-vigorously, which means I have to overtake them and risk being grazed by a flailing senior swimmer coming the other way. Old people tend to have very gnarly toenails. They also like to foregather in the shallow end for a laugh and a chat. They're probably laughing at me. The over 50 who doesn't fit anywhere.
I shall have front crawl classes and one day venture into the middle lane.
Still, I did 25 lengths and had a nice chat with a well-spoken lady with a dignified breast stroke.

No comments:

Post a Comment