Wednesday 8 October 2014

This Swimmer prepares

Not chilly at all
08.10.2014
Day 177
Ran four miles or so, slow, swam 15 lengths of the 50m pool
Plantar fasciitis so painful I am considering taking all of November off running and sticking to swimming.

It was a little hot running in long tights, fleece and swimsuit to Charlton Lido to practise my running-to-swimming-to-running again. The swimsuit dried very quickly and I was not cold on my jog/walk home (my plantar fasciitis is hobbling me now). Of course, Charlton is heated and the ponds and lidos I shall be splashing and shivering in on Saturday are most definitely not. To make us all earn our cake and slap up breakfast, the organisers of this hilarious challenge, called The Swimmer, insist on no wetsuits. Given my poor circulation, I doubt I'll last longer than a minute in Hampstead Ponds, Parliament Hill Lido, The Serpentine and Brockwell Lido, the final freezing body of water being the location of the breakfast café.
I've just had a look at the Burt Lancaster film of the Cheever short story. He wears large trunks and never takes them off, or puts anything on over them, it seems. And his swimming odyssey necessitates sex with plenty of women. If you look a the website I link you to, you will see many grinning Londoners in anoraks, against a backdrop of winter trees over brown water. Don't think Burt and his harem could have hacked it. I do hope we won't be racing horses in our swimsuits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment