Friday 17 October 2014

Giving blood and its effects on the runner

How long will it take me to be bright eyed and bushy tailed again?
17.10.2014
Day 186



Confined to bike again, to try to save further pain from plantar fasciitis. My running buddy wanted to do eight miles at 8.30 m/m so I pedalled and chatted. Later I cycled to Docklands for my thrice-yearly blood donation

Giving blood does not hurt. It makes you feel good and you are given drinks, biscuits and crisps. People are very nice to you. It's social. It's an excuse to look after yourself, and for the injured runner, it is a way to stop fretting and fuming about training lost and PBs fading. For at least a week (in my case it's 2-3 weeks) your times are slow and you tire more easily, because your body is working hard ot make up the blood stock again. I can remember attempting a cross country race four days after giving a pint. I was so weak and my time was so slow I was close to tears.
So tomorrow my burning heel and I will walk briskly to Hillyfields parkrun and voluncheer.
We have to see these injury setbacks as a way of Giving Something Back.
If you are a runner, considering giving blood, eat and drink well on the day. Continue drinking plenty for 48 hours afterwards, don't abstain from running, but do understand why you're not running as fast or far as usual. Don't fret. You'll be back to normal in 14 days or so.
Do give blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment