Friday 3 October 2014

Stair crazy

250 stairs available to climb in the Blue Fin Building 





03.10.2014
Day 173

After only four hours sleep - desultory stretching/planking/Swiss Ball, tricep dipping duties, plus cycling commute. Hungover with the resultant voracious appetite, which I can excuse as carbloading, although Haruki never does. Lots of stair climbing. Chinese meal, beer and ice cream for dinner. It really is time to revert to Serious default.

This past week I have taken the stairs, two at a time, to my seventh floor office for subbing shifts, wondering where I'll find suitable flights that take my fancy over the winter. The reason for the stair obsession is this. I ran Vertical Rush for Women's Running magazine last March, and my editor would like the same again, but this time I'm running as part of a two-woman relay team with my super fast Editor At Large Fiona Bugler. It will be too shaming if I'm as slow as I was  six months ago, so there's another reason for Training very Seriously. Yet I seem to be going backwards in my resolve. I'm being lazy, eating huge amount of the wrong things and averting my eyes from my burgeoning pot belly.
The problem with working at home is that the staircase is a little paltry. Today I managed to climb about 440 all told, going up to the roof and down to the basement during my lunch hour, as well as the morning flights.
Perhaps I will find gainful employment in high office to give me more stair practice in the coming months. One thing's for certain, if I carry on in this soft centred way, I'll be on a stairlift before I know it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment