Wednesday 15 October 2014

Heel thyself

The Bandstand, Southwark Park. In more clement  weather
15.10.2014
Day 184

Swam this morning. 40 lengths (25m pool). My heel still hurts, and when I turn my foot on a cobble or somesuch the pain in the heel, just near the instep, is excruciating. Meanwhile I am not running, just walking, cycling and swimming. I realise it is about 10 day since I tried to run fast (the end of the Bournemouth Half). How long can I last on this self-imposed running ban? How much fitness will I lose?
I cycled to Southwark Park (my office tomorrow morning) and checked out the lie of the land.

The bandstand (that picture was taken on a far less gloomy day) at Southwark Park is where I will set up a few circuits for my buggy runners tomorrow. I identified round the pond for their warm-up/power walk, a useful low wall for tricep dips and sit ups, and a benign slope for shuttle running. I also 'negotiated' a 10% discount at the café for the women who turn up. I do hope some women turn up.

I realise I am at halfway point in this year. Have I trained seriously this past six months? I am satisfied that I have at least recorded my triumphs and failures, my falling off the wagon and my physical shortcomings. Perhaps this year will follow the negative split pattern, and the second six months will see me a lean, keen, running machine with working feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment