Sunday 5 October 2014

Fun on the pier

 
Scoring a PB puts you in Happy Land
I am no Caroline
05.10.2014
Day 173

Today was the Bournemouth Half Marathon. I ran well, plantar fasciitis and extreme fatigue notwitstanding. I bathed my aching legs in the English Channel and tried to ease my burning sole. Then I walked four miles back to my sister's house.

Yesterday's carousing resulted in a truncated night's sleep and an upset stomach on my 5.45am waking. I had no illusions about my performance today, but the conditions boded well. The 8am start meant we all set off in sharp autumnal sunshine, under clear blue skies. An hour in, I was still enjoying myself, and was knocking out steady 7:52 miles. However, the last four or five miles were slow, most just over the 8 minutes, which was disappointing. My new trainers caused an unpleasant burning on the ball of my right foot. So I really needed this dip:




The last few miles saw us hurtling down the pie and back twice. The return sprint down the wooden floor above the sea made up the final 400m or so.
At the finish, a man from Enfield came up to me and said I had been his ideal pacer, and my mile splits had been 'perfect'. I was inordinately proud. This was the best half marathon I've run so far (I think I've done about eight in a running career that is now about seven years old). This was the  result. I was running in a friend's place. She is young and gorgeous and faster than me, so I hope she won't mind this slow time in her name:
Day 174
577[Ronnie Haydon masquerading] (10514)01:45:36Female  














No comments:

Post a Comment