Saturday 11 October 2014

The Swimmer

11.10.2014
Day 180
The Swimmer 
A relaxed half marathon starting with a privileged dip in Hampstead Men's Pond and finishing at Brockwell Lido, with brrrracing swims in Parliament Hill Lido and the Serpentine in between. Starting at 7am.

Ah, there was the rub. That 7am start. I thought the 6am train that took me to West Hampstead would do the job, but I didn't reckon on getting hopelessly lost (and ending up in the bowels of the O2 shopping centre on the Finchley Road, much to the consternation of the night staff and construction workers therein at this tender hour of the morning). I was eventually navigated out by a young Asian dad from Stratford, who commiserated with me about the fact that no-one in West Hampstead seemed to know of Hampstead, 'Hammersmith? Hannover?' or speak English. While we had a leisurely stroll to Finchley Road and Frognal, I regretted not taking the overground to Hampstead Heath Station. Even more so when I was informed I'd have to run a mile to find the Heath, then another mile over the Heath to find the men's pond.
Find it I did, eventually, after running a soggy mile with a heavy bag. The obliging and courteous organisers of The Swimmer kindly waited for me to take in dip in the murky water, because to swim in these famous ponds has been on my bucket list since I moved to London in 1984 (yes, I know, it can't have been that much of an ambition...) A very quick splash about was all I had time for. It was very deep, dark water. A little scary. I remembered the sunbaked, erotic scene from the gorgeous television adaptation ofThe Line of Beauty. The pond did not look so sexy today:
Kind Will waited for me and we jogged to Parliament Hill Lido for our second swim. This has 1990s memories of swimming with small children, or rather escaping small children to come here to swim on hot days with my trendy, north London, child-free friends. I did not take a picture of this vast pool. I swam two lengths of it, then again donned running gear over costume. I am hardcore. Other women had changes of swimsuit. One very attractive young woman, Katie, had four swimsuits in her bag. 
We ran up Primrose Hill, where, I'm informed, the 'fittest vicar in London, the reverend Graham Buckle' made the sun come out. Apparently it never rains on his fitness parades.
 
From up here it was a run to Hyde Park, and Serpentine Lido. Another first for me. The water felt silkier and warmer than the murkier, deeper Hampstead pond. Big warning not to swallow any of it, as we share our swimming bath with numerous waterfowl. I liked it in here; I could touch the ground. However I swam a very short distance, relieved that 50m lengths weren't beckoning.
On again with the running gear. It's pretty soggy by now. The running gear, that is. Pesky middle aged bladder, evidence of which is fortunately disguised by pool water. Jonathan has made lemon drizzle, (significantly) so we eat merrily and I find more people to chat with. They're friendly. They make nice cake.
As we run through the park we see the massive operation that is the setting up of the Royal Parks Half. I hope my new friends don't think I'm bragging when I tell them I'm pacing this tomorrow, but I can't resist. I am also worried about my plantar fasciitis, it's beginning to burn, despite the ibuprofen.
This is the longest run between swims. I set off fast and confident, in the front, chatting away to the lead man. Two miles in, though, he and another chap pulled away and I found I was struggling to keep up with Graham and three other chaps. I suppose I was about 20 seconds behind them for the last mile, but I did not give up. At least I was about seventh out of the 16. First woman (there are only three running!)
I'm hot and pink in the face and don't want to cool down before stepping into the freezing water. In January and February it is much, much colder than this, but it was as much as I could do to swim two lengths. When I came here in July, the day after Bewl Water 15, I found it intolerably cold. Seasoned women in the changing rooms tell me if you can stick it for three lengths, it feels better That will be my aim.

 These guys dive in. How can they bear that freezing water in their ears?

So that's it. The half marathon is run, the pools have been tested. The Brockwell Lido Café does great scrambled eggs. A breakfast of champions. I feel champion.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment