Sunday 19 October 2014

Only women bleed

Chubby day
19.10.2014
Day 188



Meet coach Ted, Nic, Sarah and Jacqui for Sunday Long Run. They're forewarned that I may drop out because of my hurty foot and blood depleted state. That was a reference to my blood donation on Friday, although an added complication is, er, lunar. You get me? Got the painters in.

The others are up for a briskish ten miler this balmy, blustery, bright day. After one mile at 8.20m/m, though, I'm sweaty and breathless. This is always the case after giving blood, and with the added complication of today's women's issues, I'm in danger of wussing out before I've begun. Nonetheless, I power on, sweatily, grunting slightly and letting the others talk, for five miles or so, before deciding to take the Forster Park route back from Beckenham. Jacquie joins me. She's recently had an eye operation and her special protective glasses are making her feel seasick.
I need to recoup those red blood cells. Drinking extra water, protein rich eggs and iron rich spinach included in my meals and a mental note to put my feet up. Self prescribing dark chocolate is a positive pleasure.That's all good. The fact that I ran at all, let alone clocked up seven miles, is to be celebrated. For all my weakness and vague nausea, I am convinced that running is the best thing you can do to combat period pain. Curling up with a hot water bottle in the manner of sulky teenage girls just makes you navel (womb) gaze. Go with the flow. It just might be a bit slow. You run faster and farther from Day 4 of the cycle apparently. I'll check that on Thursday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment