Saturday 23 August 2014

Vanity

Feeling good, not looking good, with Dan, who paced me today
23.082014
Day 133

Running well puts everything in its place. In this month's Women's Running I write as much, saying that when you're eyeballs-out chasing your Parkrun PB, all your petty anxieties melt away. its just you and your heartbeat and Mrs Lactic in your legs and the girl in front of you that you vowed you wouldn't let pass you. That is all true. And the afterglow of a 5k makes you smily and chatty and you feel young again. So, expansively, you say to the chap that just pipped you on that final hill, please pose for a photo with me, for my blog. There it is in then.
Suddenly, the pleasure of matching my Hillyfields PB – a great surprise– fades into dismay as I scrutinise my wide carbface, bulging stomach, short neck...every inch the middle aged woman, athlete in her head but certainly not in her drooping body.
That's a shame, of course. I am no longer the goodlooking woman I once was. I am, however, good for my age, with the potential to be better. So my body is, still, a glorious and happy making thing.
Love Pollyanna.
Hilly Fields parkrun results for event #105. Your time was 00:23:04.
Congratulations on completing your 65th parkrun and your 62nd at Hilly Fields parkrun today. You finished in 38th place and were the 6th female out of a field of 107 parkrunners and you came 1st in your age category VW50-54. Take a look at this week's full set of results on our website. Your PB at Hilly Fields parkrun remains 00:23:04. Congratulations on your fastest time this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment