Sunday 17 August 2014

Trailblazing

Oxleas Wood, 8000 years old and still hip and happening
17.08.2014
Day 127

My quest for trail practice prior to the Stonehenge-Avebury Marathon on 6 Sept took my long Sunday run to pastures new. Oxleas Wood has hills, leafy, rooty paths, steps, a bit of mud and grassy swards. Trouble is, getting there takes in quite a few pavements and paths, which hurt. I have plantar fasciitis, which I fear has been exacerbated by upping mileage too steeply and jettisoning cushioned road* shoes in favour of the trail ones adidas give me every time I run for a magazine piece in their name. I am now the proud and grateful possessor of four pairs of trail shoes, with very few trails to wear them on. Still, today I tried to keep as many of my 22 miles on grass and dirt as I could. I gritted my teeth and ran through the pains in my heel, but tonight the inflammation is making me wince.
I can start tapering now, 22 miles will have to be my longest run. I'll try to do more Erik and pool wor to keep my fitness up.
* childishly, I threw away my Asics gel shoes in Mallorca, being petulant after my disappointingly slow 4:01 time.

No comments:

Post a Comment