Tuesday 26 August 2014

Jekyll and Hyde Runner

Come run with us, Mrs Grumpy
26.08.2014
Day 136

It's amusing what transformations take place in the jaded freelance office worker on Tuesday training night. Morosely drinking coffee and eating toast and honey (all hail the office Dualit and unlimited white sliced) al desko at 5pm, the thought of a damp evening completing 400m circuits after my seven-mile bike ride home does not appeal. Yet following a lively session full of chat and race plans with inspirational runners like Ellie Brown I'm a beaming, glowing speed queen, cannoning down the home straight with my Parkrun pacer John Barron and enthusing over the cross country season in a slightly unhinged fashion with Aldershot Team Relay mate Kate McCarthy. And as I sit in my pyjamas and type this, I'm planning full-on training sessions and celebrations for the last Assembly League next Thursday. Being in a running club is like having an alternative family - one that doesn't require you to keep house, buy groceries and send in the accounts. A Runners' World piece once compared running to having an affair. The thrill, I would vouchsafe, is comparable. And you don't have to wear matching underwear.
Session today: a sexy beast incorporating 2000m, 1000m, 800m, 400m with 300m recoveries, strides and 2x1m warm up and warm down. Although I missed half the warm up, the bike ride counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment