Friday 15 August 2014

Mother, wife, runner

A ghost of a view from One Tree Hill
15.08.2014
Day 125

A Friday 13-miler, because I need to step up the mileage prior to my marathon in three weeks, although if I were sensible, I'd be in taper now.
I'm not sensible though. In fact, if my husband were to be believed, this running obsession is akin to lunacy. My running companion today was a woman who, like me, suffers from Exasperated Husband Syndrome. I am more fortunate being the great age that I am (!) since my days of having dependent children are more or less over.  My 16-year-old daughter is my baby, and she's very independent these days, despite having been dangerously ill nearly three years ago.
My friend and I compared notes about disapproving husbands, who resent the hours that distance running consumes; hours they reckon could be better used (what, at the ironing board? Baking?) Basically these men are jealous that something completely outside the domestic (and careeer) realm can make us feel so deliciously free and strong. When care of young children is thrown into the mix, men become worryingly infantile. This I can remember from the bad old days, when I resented having to make elaborate arrangements for husband to undertake child minding if I was called away for work or pleasure. However, when my man of the house had to be absent, he just went, assuming, (rightly) that his woman would just continue operating as childminder/caregiver/cleaner/cook etc etc etc.
 Thank heavens those days are over, for me at least. My friend, whose children are 9 and 5, still has quite a road to travel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment