Tuesday 7 April 2015

Tricky leaks

A beautiful spring day it may be, but the am fitness crew is knackered
07.04.2015
Day 357
Hillyfields circuits with Erik and co. Battle rope, balance, high knees/ladder, elbow strike, resistance bands, up and over. Kent AC session: 1m warm up on track, then jog to Hillyfields for 1m at 5k pace, then 10x10second sprints

'Get your knees right up and SPRINT', Erik's instruction is loud and clear but I cannot act on it. High-knees running is excellent for your sprint form, but there are some times that I cannot attempt it. It just puts an added strain on the pelvic floor that those muscles aren't quite up to.
At Kent AC tonight, the situation was even worse. The mile-long threshold was enough to cover me in soggy embarrassment, but I continued and sprinted really well for an old woman (Chloe and I were 1t and 2nd females in the pack).
 I live in hope that the daily clenching exercises, often using my Pelvic Toner that I put myself through, will yield some improvement in this regard. I wonder if fatigue is a factor? Early nights until the marathon....
What is interesting, and highly frustrating, is the week by week changes in this particular malady. Some weeks, I am as dry as a bone, and can sprint, jump and run long distances on a full bladder. Then there are certain days within the month that are most trying. So it's clearly a matter of hormonal change, which I'm not sure having strong pelvic musculature could possibly address. Still, I make pelvic floor exercises a (nother) health priority and wonder if I'll ever pluck up enough courage to ask a postmenopausal runner whether she still suffers. I know many runners who do. Slowly but surely it is coming out into the open. I have written several pieces about it for Women's Running and continue to discuss it with fellow female runners. It's important to feel you're not the only one with a damp patch in her pants.....


No comments:

Post a Comment