Monday 13 April 2015

Reflections of a running grand dame

Thinking tree, Mountsfield Park, 7am
13.014.2015
Day 363

Sticking to schedule for the next 13 days, so today said easy run, 30mins. I did easy run, 33 mins

On this day, last year, I began a daily blog in an attempt to improve my running by training in a more focused way. In terms of focus, if not performance, the blog has been a success. I have not had any feedback, nor many people viewing my daily posts, but I have looked back on daily events, and their workouts, race results, elements of self loathing, runner's highs, post-event lows, workaday glum and age concerns with fascination (well, oneself is ones favourite subject, is it not Caitlin Moran?)
I am satisfied, that in terms of training at least, (the most anticipated outcome will not be revealed until two weeks' hence), this has been a worthwhile undertaking.
Joining up with Erik at Team 6 has improved my strength and endurance, perhaps even my speed. It was my first positive move toward a marathon PB. I coupled this body conditioning work with more focused running sessions, on track and trail, a little more swimming, and more core work. Since then, my times over all distances has improved. I'm a bit concerned that I haven't scored a Hillyfields Parkrun PB since 31 May last year, but perhaps once the high mileage weeks are over, that'll come. Half marathon times have improved, Assembly League last year and cross country this winter have been good. The only full marathon I've done since the vow has been the Stonehenge to Avebury, which doesn't really count, since it was off road and I got lost.
I'm a little heavier, put that down to marathon gorging and more weight training, my health has been ok (although I have an ominously wheezy chest today, now I've typed that), this is the most physically active  I've been in my life, so hunger levels have soared. My body shape is not much changed; more muscle definition in the posterior chain and, when I'm eating sensibly, a flatter stomach. I have entered the hushed antechamber of menopause world and don't seem to be beset by the hot flushes, bad temper, crying jags or fatigue, all of which are supposed to be symptoms of the change in hormones. I suppose my periodic issues with stress incontinence are still highly irritating (but that's three pregnancies and hard running for you) and, on the subject of periods,  I am concerned that menstruation is not done with me yet (6 months and counting).
I am fit, middle aged, happy and full of anticipation for the race in 12 days. I will make the most of this taper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment