Tuesday 14 April 2015

Social media running bore

Team 6 training, thence to Peckham Rye
14.04.2015
Day 364
With Erik this morning: ball slams, elbow strikes, underground, ladder, open up, shoulder press, up and over, Jack in the Box
Kent AC training this evening: 1m warm up, then 10x2-minutes at speed, with walk back and 1minute recover after each, 1m warm down

The next dozen blogs will all be written through the taper lens. Having entered this happy place of reduced mileage and self pamperage, I'm struggling to live in the moment. This is probably down to more generalised anxiety about my so-called career and hearing from other, fitter, fleeter women about the disappointing marathon times they have just recorded. Nonetheless, I am attempting to embrace the taper, and have even started a two-week daily Twitterfest with Sarah, using a hashtag #trackthetaper.
A bit naff, but for these dozen days I will be a social media running bore. Then I promise I will shut up.
Exercise wise, the  training I should focus on is the core variety. Erik reminded me today that 'working your abs' and doing core work are very different beasts, inasmuch as the first workout is mostly mythical and the second is good for runners.
Your core is not your abdominal muscles. The core takes in the tummy area, but it is the whole axis, from back of the head to your bottom. It's your trunk. It has to be strong to help you balance, So instead of pointless crunches and less pointless, but not really total core, PLANKS, there should be a whole lot more one legged balancing and stabilising. Running over unstable terrain is good for your core. Swiss balls are good for your core, pedalling a bike and going up the stairs....all good for core. So I am committed to my bike and my mat for the next week or so. Just as well I am unemployed.

No comments:

Post a Comment