Monday 20 April 2015

Oat cuisine

Another cycling day

20.04.15
Day 370
20 mins easy running am, 14mile round trip on bike, dry run for tomorrow's journey

Advice I read on carbloading is difficult to follow. Often it's in American (what are animal crackers, and how much, exactly, is a cup of oatmeal, who the heck eats pretzels dipped in yoghurt?)
Leafing through a very old copy of Runner's World I read with dismay an interview with so brisky Lisa Dobriskey. She does not eat very much. Her mid morning snack is an apple (mine is a round of toast with peanut butter), her lunch a wrap with tuna and salad (mine is yet more toast, eggs, avocado, soup that I'm cooking for dinner and cake that daughter has left over from a birthday celebration). The cake in question, gorgeous and pouting on the kitchen counter is vast, about the diameter of a Cadillac's steering wheel. It's from a low-grade cash and carry and is laden with icing containing stuff like potassium ascorbate and glycerol. It tastes super sweet and delicious, but is not the sort of carbloading I should be doing. My jeans are straining against my gut. Still I do not stop loading. This had better work for my energy levels in 6 days time.
One carbloading staple that everyone seems to agree on, both back in 2009 and today, is oats. Porridge is the breakfast of champions. I have a large portion of it every orning. I have even started sprinkling chia seeds on it. How very affected. Brown sugar and yoghurt go on it too.
Tomorrow I will be leaving for Berlin at about 5am, so it's unlikely I'll have the time to write in here. It'll be a forced rest day (apart from the cycling) and I'll be sitting around eating again.
I'll carry sourdough toast with peanut butter, rice cakes, bananas, oranges, cereal bars and some crisps to snack on through the day to save money on restaurant and café bills, but I need to stop indulging my biscuit and cake habit and telling myself it's a legitimate pre-race fuelling strategy. Being greedy will not make me speedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment