Friday 10 April 2015

The race against time

Sarah and I square up in Erik's playground
10.04.2015
Day 360
An extra session with Erik, sparring with Sarah: ball slam, side to side, plank walk, 3D (as demonstrated), step overs, IYTW
Then on bike to coach Buggyrunners, in Greenwich Park.

It's easy to forget how old you are when you're absorbed in a good-natured competition with a favourite running buddy. I love Sarah's energy and can-do attitude. She has attacks life with relish. Of course, she has quite a charmed life and is four years younger than me.

I suppose I am reminded of my venerable status when I talk to the young mums I coach about my grandchild, or study the pictures, like the above, that Erik kindly sent us. One of them I could not possibly post here; I look so old and wattly of neck. The official photos from the Paddock Wood Half (as if I would spend money on images of myself gurning and wrinkled as I 'sprint' to the finish line) are very much portraits of a slightly portly 52 year old in an unbecoming club vest, so different to the image I have of myself.

It's as well that I have role models to aspire to. They were out in force last night, at the first Assembly League Race. There are three Dulwich Runners in particular: Clare Elms, a year younger than me, placed second after Kent AC's Amy Clements, Ros Tabor, who by my reckoning is about 66 and another Dulwich Runner called Clare whom I spoke to after my disappointing race last night, and discovered she was 63. More importantly, she ran her fastest marathon at the age of 55 (3:20) and her half marathon PB was 1:35, also achieved after the age of 50. So there is potential, and indeed time, to improve. I should not let little setbacks discourage me, and fretting about middle age spread and facial droop will just muddy the waters. In two weeks' time I need to feel fit, well fuelled, well rested and like a spring chicken. Looking good would be icing on the cake – muscle definition like that achieved by Ms Elms is a heady aspiration – but a PB would make me happier. 


No comments:

Post a Comment