Wednesday 8 April 2015

Mrs Muscle

Recovery run but no recovery
08.04.2015
Day 358

Recovery, slow paced run for 6 miles over the Peckham Rye via One Tree Hill. Some cycling to Greenwich to review a show

Last night's sprinting has done my arse a mischief. My warm up mile this morning was more of  hobble. It's extraordinary to think that such short bursts of effort can have such an deep and meaningful effect on one's muscles. The pain and stiffness is so much worse than the after effects of last week's half marathon double. I am not sure whether this is a good sign in the long run; the faster you go the more you ache. Some of my running mates - fast marathoners compared to me - say they can scarcely move after the big one. Certainly I ached way more after Berlin (pb marathon) than after, say, Milton Keynes (slowest ever marathon, less said about it, the better).
More than the aching, though, I dread the flatness I will feel when 26 April has come and gone. Post-marathon blues are a recognised (and literal) downside of taking up the 26.2 mile challenge, it is too awful to think that I may have to contend with those blues and the feeling that I could have run faster. And if I lose my GFA status? Too, too awful. I suppose I am setting myself up for a fall here.

No comments:

Post a Comment