Thursday 16 April 2015

Support systems

Nicky in the distance post our impromptu morning tempo run
Team 6 training, more hard work
16.04.2015 
Day 366
Short warm up, then 2m tempo with Nicky, 1m warm down
Team 6: static bike, OMG (weighted ball shuttles as illustrated), shoulder press, crossbow, up and over, skater jump
Despite extreme fatigue, to exhaustion on waking (bad dreams, work worries) I stuck slavishly to my schedule, or at least I think I did, as an unresponsive Garmin left me no means of tempo measuring. So I was pleased to bump into Nicky, Kent AC fellow marathoner of A Certain Age, who suggested running tempo together. Her 'easy' is about 8m/m*, so it was a struggle to maintain animated conversation about favoured taper foods etc.
Was it this slightly underwarm state that sent my shin into spasm? Or the Erik session with Sarah and the AM Fitness crew after a hasty breakfast?
Whatever caused it, my left leg has rebelled and become inflamed in the shin area. It's hot and very painfull to the touch. I should be icing and elevating it, but I've rubbed ibuprofen gel in the offending area and put a tight bandage there. The compression feels good, but this setback and the prospect of an injury at this late stage has done little for my antsy mood.
There's an upside, though, which was this afternoon's Twitter feed of sympathy  and kind advice from all the Hillyfields 'chicks'. It quite warmed my cockles. It's the camaraderie of marathon training that I adore.
The hunger I abhor. I just practically Hoovered up the last of the flapacks while cooking dinner, which I also inhaled, followed by yet more Easter chocolate. I am finally satisfied, but find myself with a distended stomach rather too close to bedtime. I'll never get the Body, Mind, Spirit thing right, as far as eating and sleeping balance is concerned. And I feel very fat.
* Her first ever marathon, training by guesswork, was 3:47, she wants to break 3:30


No comments:

Post a Comment