Sunday 12 April 2015

More miles?

Sunshine and (steel) magnolias in Kelsey Park
12.04.2015
Day 362
Last long run: 17.5miles, some at marathon pace, some slower. Some hills and a sprint with Sarah

My hips and ankles hurt. My ears are ringing with fatigue. Yet I fear that if I were to go to bed now I would not sleep. I've been looking back (again) at my 2013 diary to try to work out how much the ITB problems I had in the weeks before and during that taper for the Berlin marathon helped me to stop clocking up junk miles in a neurotic fashion.
I am feeling pretty neurotic about my fitness. By mile 10 today my hips and bottom were hurting and I was losing speed. Trying to keep to 8.45 felt like a massive struggle. My schedule, all schedules, say that the long slow run can be as much as a minute per mile slower than I'm planning for the Big Day, but this fatigued state feels so permanent. Only two years ago I felt refreshed and well fed at the marathon start line in the Tiergarten and my stored fuel reserves held out. It's clear I need to eat a great deal and sleep more, and it's the latter that will improve my mood.
It was beautiful today, though. The sky was a clear, washed blue, criss crossed with elegant plane trails, there was a sharp spring breeze but the sun was warm. Kelsey Park was full of blooms and exotic waterfowl, and at Beckenham we met up with Ted's group to run back to Ladywell together. In the afternoon I sat in the garden with my husband and ate sandwiches.
I baked flapjacks, I baked potatoes, I carbloaded like a champion.
So now I will take my swollen stomach to a bath filled with magnesium salts, and settle my stomach with a spearmint and camomile tea (and just a little Montezuma Easter egg).

No comments:

Post a Comment