Sunday 25 May 2014

Time to go long again

The river wild, Thames riverside at Enderby's Wharf, near the Cutty Sark Tavern
25.052014

With my spring marathon well behind me, a half marathon in a month (the Hackney Half, which I'm running with my Women's Running hat on) and a trail marathon - Avebury to Stonehenge - for the Alzheimer's Society, on 6 September, of which more in future blogs) my Long Sunday Run must needs grow longer. I'm mindful, though, that just churning out pointless slow miles is good for nothing except getting your body used to being on its feet for three and a half hours. My body is perfectly good at that. Sunday Long Runs are usually followed by an afternoon upright and active, either in the garden, out walking, or in cooking. Men, I notice, tend to reward themselves with extended periods of feet up on the sofa. Women go about their domestics, feeling a little weary (wearing that old shabby dress....etc)
So today, I took a run out to the river, mixed it up with a bit of tempo (7.30-8m/m), a couple of hills in Greenwich Park and a test of speed plus endurance, the 1000m Greenwich Park circuit I used to do with Rob's  group. I should be aiming for less than 4 minutes, but sadly was more than 4.5 today. Put it down to fatigue and menstrual shenanigans. I've laid the LSR base, the building starts from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment