Monday 19 May 2014

Summer running

Blue skies and unfurling roses
19.05.2014
Monday rest and recuperation (after a weekend of not very much). Cycle commute: 14m

Everyone's talking about the weather. Everyone's looking a bit pink. Everyone not doing exams or chasing horrible deadlines is taking their lunch outdoors.

It's weather for positive energy, early morning training sessions, after-dinner walks and bicycle commutes. It's also shorts weather, and there's the rub. When you're a redheaded Celt like me, shorts become an issue. Throw into the mix age issues (short shorts post 45? Wrinkly knees?), the depilation issues (can my fellow runners see my stubble?) and tan issues (I don't, so should Dove self-tan moisturising lotion be my best friend?) and you find you spend much of your precious training time preparing the pins for baring.

For years now I have told myself that, as an invisible woman (of a certain age), I need not let these petty preoccupations get in the way of my training sessions and race kit. Just run, and enjoy the endorphins, no-one is judging you by the mottled purple of your legs.

And yet, I'm not brave enough to follow my own convictions, so I still find I'm factoring a shave, a moisturise and the odd self tan rub down into my toilette. It means getting up at least 10 minutes earlier.

Summer breeze, makes me feel fine, but blows a blast of self doubt through my mind. Try that to the tune of the Isley brothers classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment