Thursday 22 May 2014

The arms have it

Making waves requires effort with this heavy rope trick
21.05.2014

Today's workout: an uphill cycle to Hillyfields for a Team Shape-U workout
Our playground today: battling with the rope; quick feet in a square, high knees over low hurdles, shoulder press with 7kg medicine ball, balance with straight legs, punchbag, side to side in a figure of 8, trying to develop fluidity of sideways movement.

The last two sessions have seen Erik in a  more expansive and  complimentary mood. He says of Joan, Hyacinth, even me,  that he's seeing improvements, we're working hard. My movements, he says, are smoother, stronger, less erratic. Perhaps the proof of this pudding will be in the running of Parkrun in 48 hours time. I am desperate to improve. Going faster depends on so many factors when you're a woman of a certain age. My hormones are all over the place, and I'm feeling suspiciously pre-menstrual for one who thinks all that monthly stuff may soon be over for good and all. Still, these internal, oestrogen-based shenanigans should have no effect on my running form, and the exercises I did today, involving upper back and arms, and lifting the knees to strengthen the core, can only help improve the forward impulsion and, as a consequence, the speed. I have to believe that, and Erik is very convincing. I hope he'll be looking out for me on Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment