Tuesday 27 May 2014

The rain it raineth every day

Soggy lunchtime walk
27.05.2014


Yesterday I was the subject of ridicule from my husband and daughter, because I moaned lustily about the weather as we squelched through our Witsun Walk.  How can an avowed cross country runner and outdoor enthusiast complain about the rain? Easily. When you’re not running, but walking, the rain feels colder, wetter and altogether more belligerent. When it falls at the wrong time of year, when you’ve got cold Champagne and a picnic to celebrate anniversaries and the coming of summer, when you want to sit among the daisies and turn your freckled face up to the sky and feel is all right with the world.

When you’re running in club singlet and shorts in the driving rain you feel heroic, you’re gunning for your PB and keeping warm. The mud spattering the back of your legs is a badge of honour. The sweat don’t show and the steam rising off your body as you double up at the end of the finishing funnel makes you feel EPIC.


The only running occasion that for me was spoilt by cold and rain was the hideous inaugural Milton Keynes Marathon. I started tired and under prepared, I was wet and cold from the cycle ride to and from various stations. It was the first day of my period. I finished practically in tears. You should have heard my lusty moaning then.

No comments:

Post a Comment