Wednesday 28 May 2014

Run to work day

The office chair of a runner worker
28.05.2014

The eight-ish miles from my home in Lewisham to my office on the Strand is great for a tempo run. I should really try to get from front door to desk in an hour or so, but I'm invariably slower than that. Well, my office is 7 floors up. Of course, the office worker cannot just run in and sit at desk without causing some consternation among her co workers. This one can't at any rate. When I fetch up at my work station I am running with sweat and in desperate need of the workplace shower. Note the singular noun. There is but one shower, and quite a few people running in to work these days, because they're all training for the same Race for Life as I am. Of which more in future posts.
Fact is, I have to compete for the shower, and plan quite carefully what I can and cannot carry on the run. Today I squeezed into my Camelbak a few necessities, but had planned ahead and left my towel, make up, conditioner and other essentials under my desk yesterday. Being a freelancer, though, I cannot keep stuff like that in the office permanently, because I am shifted from desk to desk.
Running to work takes planning then, running home from work is less labour intensive. I've written about both for Women's Running magazine and am pleased to see that the Evening Standard has a whole campaign about the Shanks's pony commute. I'm a big fan, if only because it means that I cannot bring in a box of leftovers for my lunc, so I just have to buy something delicious from Pret, or Itsu, or Leon, or Paul........

No comments:

Post a Comment