Wednesday 7 May 2014

That sub 22 5k

At a recent race my mile speeds were disappointing
7.05.2014

A few years ago my Garmin showed me a shade under 21mins when I completed a 5k Assembly League race. I learned later that this was a short course, and did not quite come up to the 5000m mark, but even so, this was a fast time. I was about 48 years old. Now I am 51, and agree with generous hearted friends when they say that clocking anything under 25mins is an achievement most women of my age would be happy with. However I am committed to improving my times over shorter distance, while all the time having my eye on that 2015 VLM prize.
The next Assembly League is on 3 June, followed by a gig as team leader or Women's Running magazine team at the Battersea Park Race for Life. I'm hoping my Erik sessions and club sessions will help fire up my core and legs to get everything moving faster.
Today though, I set my Garmin to measure my 5k run after a 10 minute warm up and could not get the thing to read much under 8m miles. Given that a usually slower Parkrun buddy recorded her mile (on the (50th?) anniversary of Sir Roger Bannister's sub four-minute mile) yesterday as 7.10m, this is a poor showing indeed. Perhaps I am still fatigued from the Conti Lightning Run. Perhaps the distrubed sleep from hormonal fluctuations and snoring bed partner is more detrimental than I thought. Perhaps my abandoned noshing of Easter chocolate and biscuits is slowing me down. Whatever it is, I have to address the problem and start burning up the intervals, from 200m upward.


No comments:

Post a Comment