Saturday 10 May 2014

Running backwards

 from my faster days



10.05.2014

Parkrun is not supposed to be a source of misery, and I do love it dearly. However on an off-Saturday, which seems to be most of them these days, you can feel gutted when those you usually overtake effortlessly are steaming past you. Gutted is an apt expression. This morning I woke before 5am in need of the lavatory. I visited the smallest room a further 5 times before jogging blearily up to Hillyfields. I did not feel ill, just rather scoured out. It's all to do with these few days of IBS I get every month. Hormonal changes, I suppose. I am stil in perimenopause, but periods aren't as reliable, and other symptoms are coming to the fore. I refuse to let them interfere with my passion.
So I ran my 5k, and Aimee, Kirstin and three other women overtook my. My days as 2nd or 1st chick are a memory. I tired, I sweated, my bowels stood up, but my time was poor. I doubt I managed under 24mins, which is shocking. I need to get in under 23 on that hilly course.  Will my visits to Erik help? I'm not sure. When I ran my PB last August I'd put in heavy mileage weeks, training for Berlin. Now I am scarcely covering 30m/week. And so, so slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment