Thursday 15 May 2014

Punch up








Lovely morning for it
15.05.2014


This morning’s session with the Shape-U girls, presided over by Grandmaster Erik Lee,
was just what the trick cyclist ordered. Consider, you leave the house with a slam after a row, feeling pissed off with your partner, then you have instant access to a punchbag? Well, what would you imagine?

This was my first go at a punchbag and it felt effective. For a while now I have been haunted by the spectre of bra-strap overhang (and of course World Peace, etc). Haunted is not quite the right word, since the nasty flaps of back fat overhanging my corsetry is no figment of the imagination. That’s what occurs when the decades roll on past 30. The skin, once so prettily filled, seems to drop like the melty things on a Salvador Dalí painting. However I have a friend exactly the same age as me whose back is as tight as a canvas on a frame. It is probably genetic. Forgive that tangent: the point is that upper-body strength and conditioning is what I need. So today’s session, flipping tyres, crossbow, ball slams and punchbag punching, then the usual sideway runs, static bike, slides and crunches, was a good one for me.

My upper back and shoulders ache now, but running speed is dependent on core and arm stamina as well as the power in the legs and arse, so this kind of work might see me to my goal. In any case, it sees me to work chirpy, and more kindly disposed toward my partner of 25 years.  



No comments:

Post a Comment