Friday 9 May 2014

Seeking Sanctuary

The soon-to-close Sanctuary Spa, Covent Garden
09.05.2014

Last night's carousing took its toll today: walking was an effort. I did a little yoga on waking, and after breakfast took a walk to blow away the hangover before settling down to work. Thank goodness I had scheduled this afternoon to take advantage of a friend' gift to me: half a day and a treatment at the Sanctuary Spa. Amusing that after 30 years in London and many promises to test this legendary place, with its Koi carp pool, hamam, treatment rooms and oft-photographed floral swing over the plunge pool, I nearly missed my chance altogether. The spa is closing at the end of the month. Another London institution bites the dust.
I was almost too tired to enjoy it, but swam about a bit, sweated and fantasised in the steam room and enjoyed a delightful rose oil facial  followed by a sleep retreat. I read about orgasms in Cosmo and listened to a bunch of young women who said 'like' every other word talking about hen nights and honeymoons in Bali. Was I such a cliche at that age? Unlikely. Mine was a shotgun wedding to a man I scarcely knew. We're just about to celebrate 25 years of marriage.
So, a rest and recuperation day. Competely exhausted, a little down in the mouth. A little hormonal. It's Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment