Friday 30 May 2014

Runners Need

30.05.2014

Rest Day: Yoga/stretching, cycling commute and lunchtime walking only

Do Runners need approval? Do they need to plaster their PBs all over social media. Do they need to be called Runners not Joggers?

Stuart Heritage is very funny on this subject, here
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/25/jogger-not-runner-stuart-heritage1

Reading his piece reminds me how conflicted I've been over blogging and running since 2010. I started a blog called Good For Age but came to a stumbling halt because I was boring myself to death. I won't say I was boring other, because nobody read it. Yet I started again on 13 April this year, to track my progress for a year. I still expect no-one to read it, much less comment, but I still hope it'll be read and my achievements and frustrations both admired and commiserated with.
It's more for my own pleasure, doing this. I am committed to being perfectly honest about my training and times, warts and all about my ageing body. Perhaps pleasure is the wrong word, then. Fact is, it's gratifying to see these posts build up, and to be able to riffle through them to see what I did differently to get that parkrun time improved by 30 seconds (my current obsession). What did I eat, how well did I sleep?
When there is more time, or perhaps when this daily discipline has bedded down and I've come up with a training log that helps me, perhaps I will consider how it may help the putative reader who stumbles across it. There must be many more like me out there, who wonder how women cope with hard training during the menopause, or how they cope with a partner's disapproval of the time spent training and gadding about with running buddies. These are all potential hooks for future posts. Meanwhile, I consider how not to be boring.
I had pasta, home made pesto and salad for my dinner. I am about to take herbal tea, bsicuits and chocolate. Let's see how we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment