Sunday 8 June 2014

Summer Running Part 2

River run via Greenwich. The dome is the entrance to the foot tunnel much too sunny to go down there today

08.06.2014

Maybe it was last night's whiskey and chocolate post theatre.  Maybe it was the heat. Maybe it was next door whooping it up, or my husband's snoring. I did not sleep well, anyway, and finally gave up trying at around 6am.
So it was up, and out for the long run before the sun had a chance to burn.
I don't like to carry water, and am rather snootily hard core when I see women carrying bottles (especially for shorter distances). I know, though, that if I'm going to run for longer than 90 minutes in these conditions, I'll be doing my system some damage if I don't drink. So my goal was to try to squeeze in as many miles as I could in that 90 minutes. I managed about 11.5, but then needed to run longer to get home and drain the water filter.  
This run took in two hills (Vicar's Hill to the Brockley standing stones circle, which I think I may have featured on this blog before, Greenwich Park), but other than those, few challenges and plenty of flat riverside. I should have kept to 8.30m/m. Of course some were slower than that.
I should try fitting a tempo run into the weekly schedule. I have a half marathon (flat, thankfully) in two weeks or so. It would be good if I could sustain some 7.50m/miles at the end of a run like this, but today that was an impossible dream. Heavy legged and sweaty, I plodded. The Garmin showed me the damage.
Musing, mathematics, visualisation. If 10 miles can be covered comfortably in 90 minutes, double it, then do 6 miles in 50mins, that's my marathon goal. Do the maths. Get the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment