Saturday 21 June 2014

Sore feet before the half marathon? Not great

My view while marshalling the first ever Peckham Rye Parkrun

21.06.2014

The longest day, hot sunshine from start to finish. Perfect for a rest day before a half marathon. Yet my rest was rather active. First a cycle over to Peckham Rye to marshal the first Parkrun there. A great success: 201 runners. Upbeat mood. After this I repaired to the café to talk Parkrun and other matters with Hillyfields buddies. Two of them are running the Hackney Vitality Half tomorrow, as am I. I have many reservations, from this angle, about my predicted performance. They are:
1. Menstrual period. Ho hum.
2. Tired legs, because I had to walk quite a long way to pick up my number from the Hackney Half Marathon runners' village. A long, hot, but pretty walk through the Queen Elizabeth Park (Olympic Park), plus all the shenanigans trying to find the right platforms for the DLR journey
3. Sore feet, because I stupidly wore pumps for this walk, and sustained a blister on my big toe joint. Ho hum
4. The heat. 26 degrees C is forecast.
5. The pressure, I'd quite like to snag a PB. That would mean 1:47
6. The embarrassment. The press (that's me, because I'm writing about it for Women's Running magazine) line up behind the elites.
7. The embarrassement #2 Running with my period inevitably incurs a lapse into stress incontinence. EVB shorts, please don't let me down.

Here are my sore feet. Am I having cold feet?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment