Thursday 26 June 2014

A bit gutted

Put it down on paper: the truth about poor fuelling and rest
26.06.2014

The received wisdom about tiredness and exercise is that you should forget your tiredness and get out there. You'll feel better for it. Certainly, on Tuesday night at the running track, I've felt like kissing the coach once the session's over, feeling energised and useful again. This morning though, after a terrible night of insomnia caused by digestive disturbances (overdid the salad?) and  having husband installed in bed again (I am one of many millions of middle aged women who would dearly love their own bed/room/house), I could not appreciate the wisdom.
I felt chewed up and spat out. Erik had set out the punchbag, 7kg medicine ball for slamming, step up stack, a lungeing/balance exercise and the line, for backwards running and more lunges. I only succeeded in getting grumpier, slightly nauseated and now I have a weird pain in my left hip and calf.
I'm also tense and nervouse about tonight's assembly league, about which I will report once I've done it.

Assembly league number 4 at Battersea Park
Wear your club vest with pride, but lose the gut it strains over
 Another 5k race in this park, but I ran it slower than the Race for Life a couple of weeks ago. The reason is probably lack of sleep and slightly low mood, couple with the digestive disorder. It is perfectly possible for me to run these in 21 minutes, so it's back to the drawing board. More core work, more cross training more sleep and more protein. My next 5k test is Saturday's parkrun, so I must behave myself on Friday. It will be interesting to see how I fared in my age group. I should bear in mind the World Champion V50 athlete, Clare Elms (she ran tonight) when I head for the biscuit tin. She looks like a biscuit never passes her lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment