Sunday 1 June 2014

Flaming June

My husband plays the lute, while a woman declaims
1.06.2014 Long Sunday run 8.5m incl warm up/down

Rough winds did shake the darling buds of May, but June so far is flaming. Today the long slow Sunday run was deferred until after I had done my bit for an event at the South Bank entitled The People's Sonnets. I'd volunteered to read out my favourite here, near the Festival Hall. Husband Rick Jones offered to accompany on the lute (he played right through until sonnet 50. I read sonnets 45 and 47). It was a lovely experience, but I did not stay to hear all 154 read/recited. After I'd said my pieces, I repaired to the Festival Hall to don shorts and T shirt and ran the 7 or so miles home. I stuck to 8-8.45 minute miles and felt comfortable, if a little sweaty in the heat of midday. I've always been rather disparaging of people who use the South Bank for running, but on a Sunday, before 10am, the walkways are still pretty empty, so runners passing by as The Peoples Sonnets event unfolded were able to move with ease, their only obstacle being a lutenist in Sunday shorts and a number of die-hard fans of Shakespeare's love poetry. If they only knew that one of these romantics that took to the wooden box to recite her chosen 13-liner had her sports bra supporting her poetic breast.

No comments:

Post a Comment