Friday 27 June 2014

Runners should swim

Early morning emptiness of local pool
27.06.2014

An absence of aches and pains, or any real fatigue this morning confirms my suspicions that I could have pushed myself more yesterday evening. Although my breath was ragged, my legs weren't working to their full capacity, so no sub 22 minute 5 k for me. Given that our first woman can do 17.36 minutes, with three others at sub 20mins, my effort seems a little lack lustre. The Battersea Park run is fast and flat, so more training is needed.
I chose a swim for recovery today, because I want to race again tomorrow (Parkrun) and keep on plugging away for speed at this distance. On the other hand, the weekly mileage should be on the up from now for the Sept 6 marathon. Having done a half marathon last Sun, this weekend should see a 15mile long run.
More swimming is also on the agenda. I did a modest 20lengths this morning, and still promise myself some front crawl lessons to improve speed in the water. It felt good to be in Lewisham's lovely Glassmill pool with the dedicated pre 7.30am swimmers. I hate a crowded pool, and this one's a grand blue expanse in the early morning.
To celebrate my new infatuation with lidos and pools this week, I've ordered a sleek looking high-necked Zoggs Cabarita costume from Wiggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment