Sunday 15 June 2014

Dog envy

My running buddy's new running buddy
15.06.2014

It's Sunday, so must be long run day. Distractions abounded, in the shape of work deadlines, a forgotten Father's Day (I know my husband is not my father but I felt I should have remembered, so a a cake was hastily baked this afternoon) and the above, Sarah's new family addition, collected from Battersea Dogs and Cats Home yesterday. She was showing him off in the park today, and I envied her going for a long walk with him, since when I set off to continue the 10 miles or so I'd set myself in preparation for next week's half marathon, I felt quite disinclined to run. my Garmin refused to work. My hips and ankles ached, and my pre-menstrual/perimenopausal hormal stress incontinence was threatening to make a soggy gusset of the whole experience.

Just by Morden Wharf, on the Thames Path, I met Ellie, loping easily along with her collie, Gravy. More envy. Ellie is a pilates teacher, so I could bet that her gusset is never soggy, even though she' of a similar age, and has had three children, too.

At five miles I decided to turn back and run hills in Greenwich Park, once I'd visited the lavatories up there. As I passed Ballast Quay I notice the splendid, slightly mystical garden there was open for Open Gardens Sunday. Had to look in. Once of my favourite memorials is there. Te person who created the garden is called Hilary Peters, and she's quite famous in Greenwich Circles. They had cake and sculpture for visitors' delecation, but I knew today would be a big cake eating day (it was, and plenty of chocolate too) so I forced my weary carcass on to finish the run. About 9 miles covered, slowly and wetly. Look at the goat of Ballast Quay:
A memorial to the animals culled in 2001 Foot and Mouth disaster

No comments:

Post a Comment