Thursday 11 December 2014

'You're training for a purpose, not a circus'

Erik Lee inspires his students
and his student took the wisdom to her Buggy Runner


11.12.14
Day 241

Today was all about my training with Erik at Team 6, then I went to Southwark Park to be a Buggy Runner Coach, then a cycle over to Greenwich to run with the dog. Still a good deal of walking and running to do.

Erik and I bonded over the plight of the impoverished PT today. Although he had two clients. I had just the one Buggy Runner, and she talks wistfully of the nice warm gym and its pleasantly undemanding treadmill. She has mused, on more than one occasion, that running outdoors is a lot harder than pounding the treadmill. She also reckons she cannot train without music. Each to her own, but I realise how very old school I am as she talks. A lot of Erik's wisdom I pass on to my runners, but it's sobering (and not a little satisfying) to see how few repetitions these much younger women can manage.
Erik is not old school. He says his methods are all cutting edge, developed in the US and only just taking off here. I believe him; his circuits were described and replicated in a recent piece by in Runners' World. I will not get cold feet in the cold weather and repair to a gym, therefore. I am Erik's most loyal client. And a tough old bird, to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment