Saturday 20 December 2014

Aaargh! Soles

Six to score, so I won a medal too
Amy, our fastest woman, hides behind me

20.12.2014
Day 250

A gruelling cross country run in Surrey. Billed as 7.5m, the South of the Thames Cross Country Championships is in fact an 8 miles slog across hilly Farthing Downs. I was pleased to be not so far from the faster members of my pack, covering it in (I think) about 1.07.

The conversation before every cross country race is 'trail shoes or spikes?' I settled on the latter for this course because when I ran the Pirie 10 miler here a few weeks ago I kept slaloming don the muddy cambers. However, today's course was slightly different, and the wooded sections had rocky, gravelly bits, that clashed painfully with my spikes, bruising the ball of my foot. It was like running on a shingly beach barefoot. I found myself crying put with the pain. The relief of runny sharp, downhill grass and mud sections afterward was extraordinary. I flew down those bits. The results were that my miles veered crazily between 7.35m/m and 11m/m, evening out at about 8.10m/m. There were three laps, so we had to toil up a very steep hill three times. I ache like crazy now, which shows how very hard it was. Ibuprofen before bed?

No comments:

Post a Comment