Monday 8 December 2014

The silly season

Silly in selfie
07.12.2014
Day 237

Up in the dark to run a Sunday slowie all alone for seven miles or so. Aware that I'd like marathon pace to sit comfortably at 8.45m/m and wondering how to improve aerobic fitness to allow this. A long and pointless walk to a useless bus stop on route to King's Cross. A late night meeting deadlines meant that once again this daily blog missed its day.

Apart from reviewing Christmas shows (which is work, of course), the first seasonal event for me is this annual get together with my closest friends to exchange Christmas presents. The fourth in our quartet, Ruth Jarvis, is still touring the Americas by bike, so we tweeted merrily at her (see above). It always marks the start of the silly season for me, when the disconnect between the poised, creative,well organised me of my dreams clashes head on with the chocolate munching, mulled wine swilling, crisp crunching, non runner drowning in a welter of carol concerts, drinks parties, shopping days, press events. With every passing year my body and mind seem a little less robust. I wonder if it's better to be injured and off running at this crazy time, like two dear Kent AC buddies, or if the head-clearing loveliness of going for a run, however slowly and pantingly, is better for overall fitness?

No comments:

Post a Comment