Tuesday 16 December 2014

Everything seems better after a run

It's dark, it's cold, but the track will make it better
16.12.2014

Day 246

Office bound, with a bit of commuter-walking (cannot cycle to Loughton and get to work on time) and track session after work. 1mile warm up, 4x1000m session, 1 mile warm down.

Emerging, bleary eyed, after a hard day's subbing, shivering in the cold, I almost convinced myself I was a little too poorly to go to the track. A very disturbed night's sleep and continued gut rot made me feel weak and watery.
It only took the first 400m to convince myself I was fine. All you need to do is get the heart pumping and the legs racing to stop you focusing inward. Once you're in motion the aches and niggles and negative thoughts are blown away, all that matters is catching the runner in front of you. Suddenly the shivery body is suffused with heat and strength, the tummy ache is forgotten and the self-pity turns into a bounding optimism. How grateful I am that I can run.
I'm not delusional, I know I'm no Jo Pavey, but when coach Ellie tells me I'm running stronger than ever, I'm inordinately proud, and float home feeling on top of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment