Sunday 7 December 2014

The Veteran Cross Country runner

Meet the team. All abilities. Everyone over 40
06.12.2014
Day 236

Today was the Kent Veterans Cross Country Championships. Only Kate (speedy) and I qualified for the V50 category, and as we needed three to score, there was no pressure on us. A five kilometre race, very hilly, with muddy, rooty woodland sections. Lovely.

For the first time in ages I felt quite strong and swift. As a cross country veteran, though, I should have been one minute, at least, faster. Why? Because a cross country veteran would hardly countenance not one, but two, shoelace incidents slow her down. That is the mistake I made, after seven years of running cross country. I was cross with myself. Fuming, as the narrow paths meant it was difficult to pass those who overtook as I tried to flex frozen fingers into action to rety. Still, every cloud....the speed I ran to try to recoup my position was good tempo/endurance stuff. I know I can go faster if I carry on the strength training and good rest/nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment