Friday 27 March 2015

Pretty flamingos - or how standing on one leg is a work out

I love a bit of balancing
Greenwich Buggy runners go off to practise balancing
27.03.2015
Day 346
Rest day. A cycle to Greenwich Park, where I took a Buggy Runner class. Hills with slats and drills

One of the many reasons I am grateful to Erik at Team 6 is because he has, for nearly a year now, been a fount of information about all things core. The exercise I'm demonstrating in the top photo is referred to in his traiing notes as, simply, 'balance', which is more a glute and upper back workout, but part of our drills today involved standing with one leg raised (circling, ankles, stretching hip flexors, whatever) and I was able to say how this skill should be practised (stand on one leg while brushing teeth, waiting for kettle etc etc) because it gets your core working. Pregnancy plays havoc with balance, however, so I see the lovely young women I train wobble and tremble while they gaze at this granny (my son's baby will be born in the next 12 hours, I am reliably informed) stand one legged like a veritable rock. It makes me feel able, just as running past them up the hill, to be at the summit to greet them and comment on their form, reassures me that I am a fit enough old bird and worthy of being their coach. Accelerating past my clients, with rucksack bumping on my back, puts me in mind of hardman Rob Blair, who used to train us Friday morning gazelles. The two men I have referenced in this blog could no be more different, but both are wise, in their way, and both have helped me gain strength and confidence. I hope that is how the women I coach see me.

No comments:

Post a Comment